Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tender Mercy

As I travel back and forth between my house and the Tanner Building on BYU campus, I listen to general conference talks. The last time I burned a general conference MP3, I felt I should put on two additional talks both given during BYU devotionals from Elder Hales and Elder Holland. I remember exactly where I was sitting and how I felt when I first heard Elder Holland's talk. It was the day after Valentine's Day and I had some tough questions on my mind. The talk seemed to be directed towards me. Questions were answered, hope was given, and faith renewed. Tonight Elder Holland's talk played as I was driving. I heard the very words that I needed to hear. My heart softened and fears departed. So, my post is dedicated to a talk that once again has given me hope. Though the talk relates to marriage, my focus is on the principles of faith.

To give ourselves totally to another person, as we do in marriage, is the most trusting step we take in any human relationship. It is a real act of faith--faith all of us must be willing to exercise. If we do it right, we end up sharing everything--all our hopes, all our fears, all our dreams, all our weaknesses, and all our joys--with another person.

No comments: