A few weeks ago my sister's two daughters (10 and 12) decided they wanted to purchase new bedding, because theirs was getting old, and to move their bedroom to the basement. The girls spent hours on the internet searching for the perfect bedding. They finally decided on something from JCPenny and my sister went and purchased the final pick. Then came moving time.
They spent hours moving the old furniture out of the room downstairs, packing up their room, and moving their beds into their new room. As they were decorating, they all realized some of the picture frames and wall hangings didn't match the new bedding. Not a problem. They could buy items that did match. The girls crawled into their beds to try out the new bedding but it wasn't as comfortable as their old worn blankets.
Suddenly, tears began to fall and before my sister could react, both daughters were sitting on her lap sobbing. She looked at her four-year-old son who stood there in disbelief and as dumbfounded as my sister. Neither knew what had just happened. When the tears subsided and words could be spoken, the girls explained they liked their old bedding, their old decorations, and their old bedroom. So at 11:00 at night, the beds were returned to the old room and everything was placed back in its rightful place.
As I sat and listened to this story, I saw so many metaphors in relation to my own life. I wish that after hard decisions were made and I didn't like the result, I could say "I don't like this. Can I change it back?" and everything would go back to normal like nothing happened. Right now I feel stuck in a new bedroom with new blankets and all I want is to be back in my old bedroom with my worn, comfortable bedding. I didn't ask for the new room but here I am stuck in it. I need help figuring out how to get back...back where I feel happy, comfortable, and at peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment