Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Broadway's Best

A few months ago I mentioned that I was able to see Brian Stokes Mitchell and Linda Eder in concert. Well my childhood Broadway idols just kept coming. Two weeks later I saw Idina Menzel (of Wicked fame) at the Deer Vally Music Festival. Her chattiness and flighty demeanor actually made her that more endearing to the audience. Of course she sang songs from Wicked and it was even better live!

Then, Lea Salogna (Jasmine, Mulan, Miss Saigon, and Les Miserables) came to BYU. I felt like a little kid in a candy store. I just sat there with a giddy smile as her voice resonated in the DeJong Concert hall. She was personable and down to earth. And "On My Own' was phenomenal! I walked away from the Lea Salogna concert with a "once-in-a-lifetime" feeling. Absolutely wonderful!

When I was telling my mom about all the Broadway singers I had seen the past two months in Utah, she reminded me of a story that my seminary teacher once told her. When I was in high school, our seminary had a dating week in February. We filled out a survey that gauged our interests, personality, etc., etc. I went up to my teacher and told him that my favorite music type wasn't listed. All the typical genres were listed but mine was missing. He stared at me incredulously then asked, "What is your favorite music?" "Musicals." He looked at me. Looked at the paper. Then said, "You're right. It isn't listed." He was surprised by my answer but when he related the story to my mom, she wasn't. She knew that I would listen to different musicals while cleaning the house, working in the yard, and driving to piano lessons (a three hour round trip drive). She knew that my sister and I would sing-along to the symphonic version of Les Miserables and even try to sing every part in One Day More. She knew that one Christmas she searched the country (this was before the Internet was helpful) for a copy of The Sound of Music as a surprise for me. She knew.

Now do you understand how seeing Linda Eder, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Idina Menzel, and Lea Salogna made me feel like a kid again? One day I'll make it to Broadyway, but until then, I'm content with all the Broadway opportunities I've had in Utah.

Admit it. You had fun clicking on all those links. :)

No comments: