Saturday, May 3, 2014

A New Beginning

2013 started off really, really well. I had a job interview in the Bay Area so I made a weekend trip out it. The people I interviewed with were great, but it was such a new, new, new startup and my current job was sucking the life out of me that I didn't want to take the job.

Two interesting lessons I learned through that job process were 1) I was worth more than I had thought and 2) I need to act when I know an answer. The first insight sounds obvious. But it wasn't to me. I had degraded my own worth because of failed relationships and lack of immediate success in a job transition that I had begun to doubt me. Where my current boss continued to stall requests for a raise or promotion or both, this company courted me. Offered me my asking price. Wanted me. I hadn't experienced that feeling in such a long time that it was a startling wake-up call to my current reality.

The second lesson reminded me that I often do know the right answer but it was all about having the courage to act. I kept debating if I should take the job or not, and I was studying conference talks that morning the words that kept jumping at me were courage and act. So I left my room and declined the job. I knew my answer. I had just lacked the courage to say no.

This month also captures two of my favorite events: the engagement of two of my new friends and the marriage of another dear friend. I was glad to be in California to celebrate the former and in Utah to celebrate the latter. At the end of the month, I needed an escape from the snowy, cold winter and headed to Mexico to visit my parents.
Dave and Kambria
Sherstin and Jay
Time for a warmer climate

No comments: