Sunday, April 19, 2015

Longest Month Ever

Though shortest in days, February feels like the longest month and this year proved no exception. Cold and snow and cold and snow and more cold and more snow. I'm a Utah girl so I should be prepared for winters like this but this year was pound you into the ground until you're bruised and bloodied and forgotten what warmth feels like. It didn't help that I had to travel to Toronto twice. Yes I may be being a bit dramatic but I don't care. This year's winter tested all my sanity.

A few highlights:
Captured a perfect sunset at the temple
Visited Lincoln's Cottage (missed the tour though)
Found 1st National Cemetery (aka Arlington Light)
Additionally my friend Mel came to town for a week so I spent a few days driving to Leesburg after work to play with her and Cheryl. One night we went to Cheryl's gym and did pilates. I wish someone had a camera as we looked quite uncoordinated at times.

The biggest news that happened in February started from a Sunday morning message from my boss's boss asking if I'd seen his email the day before. I hadn't since I don't check my emails on the weekend. Quickly looked and he asked if I would come up to Toronto for leadership meetings on Tuesday and Wednesday. Having no idea why I was singled out but also knowing I'd miss an important opportunity at work, I logged onto my company's travel site and booked a trip the next day. My boss chatted with me the next day and mentioned that the org changes that we all thought were going to happen were tossed aside for a new plan from the VP. After two days of meetings, I still had no idea why I had been asked to join. An hour before leaving for the airport, the VP pulled me into his office to chat. What he suggested was exactly what I had been hoping for and immediately accepted a new role. The catch: I had to fly to Toronto more often. Gratefully it's such a quick flight that going once or twice a month wouldn't be too problematic and the weather is getting warmer so here's hoping to better things.

No comments: