Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Month of Gratitude

It's that time of year again and it is perfect timing. November is my month of gratitude. No whining. No complaining. Just focusing on all that I have been blessed with.

I am grateful I made it through October. This month has challenged me in ways I never could have imagined. Just when I thought I had been pushed to my limit, another unexpected surprise came around the corner. The Lord strengthened me and helped me through each day, and at times, He gave me angels that carried me.

I am grateful I made it through the past year. Never did I expect the challenges that hit me. I've had struggles that helped me recognize how much I value my relationship with my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. This morning I was reading in Hebrews 10 which sparked a reflection on the past year and this deepening affection. "But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions...Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompense of reward. For ye have need of patience that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise." I have felt that "great fight of affliction" but also understand why Paul said we "glory in tribulation." I have felt "opposition in all things" and have a better understanding that "men are that they might have joy." It is called the Plan of Happiness for a reason. I know the Lord is guiding my life, and though I have no idea what path we are traveling down, I know I'm not alone. For that I am eternally grateful.

I am grateful that tonight my colleague, who is not a member of the LDS church, and I were able to share our beliefs about the creation of life and the sacredness of little children. How grateful I am that we are able to have that conversation and that others believe just as strongly as we do in the sacredness of life and of little children. It was a sweet experience to have with someone I work with.

No comments: